Paintings of Lincolnshire in Winter - Burghley House Deer Park


I confess, I am a huge fan of Instagram. I know it often confuses people who are new to it, but it's probably my favourite social media site.
I love imagery. Being a visual Artist I love creating pictures *no suprise there* and I love looking at pictures... whether that is drawings and paintings or photography. So finding an online medium devoted to just that was really exciting.
 Over time I have found myself out somewhere taking pictures with my phone, and thought 'What would make a good Instagram picture?' What can I see that has a nice contrast of colour, or shape? What would be eyecatching while scrolling through?
I had followed a lot of Instagrammers who post a lot of Black and White photography, or misty, atmospheric trees and mountains. And gradually I've begun to train my eye for a satisfying image to share.

During the Autumn and Winter I got to enjoy plenty of walks in the fog at Burghley Park. The public part of the deer park surrounding Burghley House in Stamford, Linconshire.
If you follow me on Instagram already you'll probably have noticed my tree obsession... which was even more exciting in the fog! lol

(For those new to Instagram, you can view it on a computer but you can only upload your photos via a smartphone as it's designed to encourage the travelling and adventurous spirit - with a phone/camera. 
You can use photos from an actual camera, but you will need to save them to your phone first.)

So, what does this have to do with painting?
Last year I had returned to using Acrylic paints, and begun to work with new techniques and ideas for my paintings. More texture, more depth. More satisfying brush marks.
I kept seeing some of my Wintery photos as paintings... and even though I've never been  a Landscape Artist really,  I decided to see if I could capture the essence of what I loved about the photos. So I got out my paints and gave it a go.
Once I started, it was quite difficult to stop... so much fun! 
Here are a few... I have the same again still in early stages on drawing boards around my studio. I will be interested to see if I keep working with 'Winter' or the blue skies of Summer will filter in. What do you think? Would blue skies and sunny days work as well? :)
*********************************

'At Night The Earth Comes Alive'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"


************************
"Out of a misty dream, Our path emerges for a while, then closes, Within a dream”
-Ernest Dowson- 
**************************

'Casting Shadows'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"




'The Journey Begins'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10" 

*************
“A cold wind was blowing from the north, and it made the trees rustle like living things.”
― George R.R. Martin -
 ***********

'Restless Spirit'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"



'Look To The Stars'
Acrylic and silver metal leaf 
10x12"



************
"We feel cold, but we don’t mind it, because we will not come to harm. And if we wrapped up against the cold, we wouldn’t feel other things, like the bright tingle of the stars, or the music of the Aurora, or best of all the silky feeling of moonlight on our skin. It’s worth being cold for that." ~Philip Pullman~
 ***********

'The Wild Wood Whispers'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"

 ************
“When it is misty, in the evenings, and I am out walking by myself, it seems to me that the rain is falling through my heart and causing it to crumble into ruins.”
― Gustave Flaubert - 
*********

'Liminal Spaces'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"



'Half Light'
Acrylic and metal leaf
10x10"

*******
"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky"
- Kahlil Gibran-
*******

All images are copyright J.Guthrie. No reproduction permitted. If you share, please add a link back to www.juliaguthrie.co.uk & keep my copyright on the image.
Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts