Monday, 6 March 2017

The Invisible Path - Artwork by Julia Guthrie

In the past few years I have been on a bit of a journey... metaphorically and literally of course.
I had stopped doing the fantasy art watercolours which I had become known for, whilst still in Cornwall, and rediscovered my love of charcoals.
The gold leaf and charcoal phase is one which taught me a great deal, and I look back on what I created now with amazement. I truly love them.
However, as with the watercolours, I rarely felt satisfied with the end result. I could never get enough richness into a piece of work.
 I dreamt of going back to my early beginnings of acrylics, so that I could try and create some layers and texture, but for a long while I wasn't sure where to begin.

I spent my first 2 years in Lincolnshire exploring. Trips to castles, gardens, stately homes... you name it. Not just in Lincolnshire mind you. I loved the roadtrip lifestyle and enjoyed my photography opportunities up and down the Country.
My art went through some truly frustrating phases... not quite 'getting there'.
I began working with much looser backgrounds in acrylic and metal leaf alongside pencil or charcoal figures. Things began to click into place.
The Autumn and Winter just gone, something else happened... I fell in love with the weather. 
I found that nothing excited me more than wandering the paths around Burghley House Grounds on a cold day, the air thick with fog, and the deer peacefully grazing beneath the trees.
Some days we saw noone else at all. Silence... emptiness.... bliss. 
At times I even wished for snow! (So I could go out and photograph everywhere covered in a blanket of white!)

My 'fog' appreciation has always been around. As a child I loved my walk to school on a foggy morning because we would turn a corner onto the long straight road leading up to school and shout happily... "Hooray, the school has disappeared, its fallen off the edge of the world!". Skipping merrily right up to it before it would emerge from the mists.
Playtime was always fun too... not so for the teacher on playground duty as their shouts and whistle blowing to signal the end of playtime would send us running up the playing field (in the opposite direction) where we couldn't be seen.
 So I grew up with foggy Winter weather. And then I moved to Cornwall. And the weather is quite different down there. Less contrast. More drizzle. More rain. Less fog. (Sea fog is a different thing altogether... and utterly freezing, like ice)
So moving back up here again I guess I have re-discovered proper weather. The colours of Autumn were stunning! And it's been inspiring my photography. 
If you follow me on Instagram you will probably have noticed.

I have in the last few months began dabbling in acrylics again, and rather strangely for me, been focused on landscapes. Working from my own photographs, of which there is an extensive supply.
Finally I feel there is something more satisfying in the creation of my paintings. Depth, texture and colour. 
There is always more to achieve, more to improve on, but for now I think I am happy. I have visions of misty Scottish Castles & Lochs, Woodlands and mountains. And perhaps even some Cornish coastlines. I do already have all the photographs after all ;)
Its also a good excuse to get back out on the roadtrips this year anyway.

 'Casting Shadows'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
 Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire

'At Night The Earth Comes Alive'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
 Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire

'Restless Spirit'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
 Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire

 'The Butterfly Fields'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
Twyford Woods, Lincolnshire

 'The Wild Wood Whispers'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire

 'The Journey Begins'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire

  'Look To The Stars'
Acrylic & metal leaf
10x10"
Burghley House Grounds, Stamford, Lincolnshire





Original Artwork is for sale. Please drop me a note to enquire for availablility and pricing.

1 comment:

  1. I completely adore these new pieces, the atmosphere is so heavy and tangible. It has indeed been a journey and one I've enjoyed following.x

    ReplyDelete