Art, food & interviews...

Where has the time gone I wonder... the past month or so has been full of interesting changes for me, & I thought it was about time I stopped for a moment to catch up with everything :)
Firstly... I have recently been interviewed about my work & inspiration for the fabulous, 'Mind Body Spirit Marketplace' Blog.
http://www.mindbodyspiritodyssey.com/2012/06/mind-body-spirit-artist-series-julia.html
Go check it out, & I'd like to say a big thank you to Diane Ferguson for contacting me!
You can also find them on Facebook HERE!


Secondly, I have been working on some sketches & ideas for some Pre-raphaelite inspired paintings... I hope to have something interesting to show you soon, but until then, here's a few quick sketches I did to get into the mood :)



These are some ideas for a project around the Cornish folk tale 'The Mermaid Of Zennor'. Lots of images in my head for this one, but not sure what will end up being painted yet :)
 "Out of the water she came... in a dress made of the sea"






And last but not least, I have been quieter online due to starting a new 'day job'! *gasp* Yes, it had to be done. You all know by now that I consider baking a bit of a hobby, so it won't surprise you to hear that a job came up close to home, making Cornish Pasties and of course...I had to do it :)
It brings in a bit extra cash AND I get to make Pasties every day. How can I complain about that? lol
For those who may not have heard of a Cornish Pasty...this is what they are...
http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/pasties.html

The Cornish people are very protective of their 'traditional food' & In 2011 it was announced that the Cornish pasty received PGI status which means it enjoys the same status that has been granted to Champagne, Parma Ham, Stilton Cheese, Arbroath Smokies, Cornish Clotted Cream, Smoked Salmon and many other regional produce. This means that only pasty makers based in Cornwall who make pasties to a traditional manner and follow a traditional recipe are able to label their products as Cornish pasties. 


Anyone can make a pasty...but if it isn't made in Cornwall, it isn't a Cornish Pasty. And dont' be putting carrot in it either!! :)

Pasties are usually eaten on the go... like a portable lunchtime snack. And indeed most pasties are considered the Cornish version of a sandwich. They are also just as nice for dinner, with baked beans. Yummy :)

Should you fancy trying your hand at a basic Pasty recipe, here is a link... http://britishfood.about.com/od/cakesandbaking/r/cornishpasty.htm
The crimping is the most difficult bit...it's something I have really enjoyed learning how to do properly at work. And as soon as I get the chance I shall be making some at home... yes..I will bore you with photos too probably! lol
Until then... don't forget you can keep up with me on a daily basis over on Facebook... http://www.facebook.com/juliaguthrieart




Comments

  1. I'm drooling now. ;D
    OK, it's the pasties really. Can I order some from over here? Heeheeh.
    But the sketches look wonderful too. I must say I absolutely love the one with the lady and the sea... however it'll turn out in the end. :) Looking at it just like this it looks as if she's running into the sea, kind of desperately, looking for something (someone?)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with your new job! I did the same about a year ago and work 2 days a week in a toyshop. I love being surrounded by pretty toys all day! Your sketches are fantastic! I really love the sketches done in the pre-raphaelite times. A few years ago I saw some sketches by John Waterhouse in the Musuem at Falmouth, wonderful stuff!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts