The sound of the sea

It's been calling me again... 
The biggest haul so far of amazing 'sea kissed' driftwood has been filling my studio for the last few weeks & I've gradually been pulling bits out & seeing what useful & pretty items they wanted to become.
 I had some commissions for the windchime/ mobiles, but I made as many as I could so I could re-stock my ETSY shop.
I had also accumulated various boxes and jars of smaller pieces of wood that were beautiful and tactile, but how could they be used?
Keyrings... on a vibrant ribbon...some painted, some varnished, and some pure driftwood.
Wall hangings... of all shapes and sizes with inspirational quotes painted on, & shells attached. Lots more of those to come, but for a good selection feel free to drop by my shop for a browse.




My muse has now decided she wants to further investigate the magical Mermaid legends of Cornwall... so I am off to re-read my copy of 'INGO' by Helen Dunmore (which is a modern day tale based on 'The Mermaid Of Zennor') in order to fully immerse myself in mystical watery folklore :)
So I shall leave you with the wonderful words of John Masefield....


Sea Fever

"I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over."


Comments

  1. I love to see natural materials made into useful things. They continue to live in their new incarnation. :)
    I do like the sound of your mermaid theme thats a-brewing! Have you read the Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd?
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sea and everything that has it as theme. For My wedding I did our invitations as 'message in the bottle'. It looked great and it was a lot of fun doing them.

    healthy diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess, no I hadn't read that... but I will investigate!! xx

    Julia, what a lovely idea! Very romantic too. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts